Wednesday, February 10, 2016
THE DANGERS OF HAVING ANTS IN A HOUSE: HOW TO GET RID OF THEM SAFELY WITH OUT HARMING FRIENDS, PETS AND FAMILY
Educate yourself about ants and the available control methods. If you decide to hire a ant control professional, look for one who understands your concerns about toxic chemicals and will work with you to select a least-toxic control program. At the same time, plan the repairs and modifications which will prevent recurrence of the problem without additional use of chemicals.
Ants are a very common household pest, and tens of thousands of homes across the United States become infested with the insects every year. An ant infestation can be difficult to treat, especially because there are so many different types of ants that end up in homes in the U.S.
• is the scientific name for black ants, which are also called sugar ants and Argentine ants. If you have an infestation of these ants, you’re likely to see the insects traveling across your floor in lines, seeking out sugar and food waste. Often, they take up residence in the kitchen. Black ants typically do not pose a threat to people or property, but they can be a major nuisance. Effective pest control for black ants must involve locating the entire colony and eliminating it.
• or the fire ant is a small 1.6 to 5-millimeter ant that is bright red in color. These ants will bite humans who get too close, so prompt pest control for fire ants needs to be completed at the first sign of the pests. You’ll often see fire ants in swarms in an infested home. Outside, the ants often form mounds that look like sand. You’re most likely to see these after it rains.
• Camponotus or Carpenter ants burrow into wood that has become soft due to age and moisture. The ants can cause severe structural damage if they are not dealt with properly, making rapid pest control for carpenter ants important. The most common sign of a carpenter ant infestation is piles of sawdust in areas that the ants have infiltrated.
• Winged ants or alates are ants with noticeable white wings. It’s possible to find just one winged ant in a home, as the insects can fly in through an open door or window; however, flying ants can set up colonies in homes. While alates usually aren’t harmful, most people do seek out services for pest control for flying ants because they are a nuisance.
• is a collective name that includes a number of ant species in two major genera which are superficially similar in appearance and size. Both are wood invaders. These are the yellow ants, which are not found in Washington, and the cornfield ants. They may be nesting in damp soil outside or under the house, beneath sidewalks, along foundations, or under debris and rocks in the yard.
For homeowners that are plagued by ants, there are , ant pesticides and ant traps offered on the market for DIY . While these products can help to temporarily , in most cases, they are not capable of fully removing the infestation. The reason why is that often it’s necessary to use measures for outside as well as inside, and homeowners usually do not have the knowledge or expertise to properly treat both the exterior and interior of homes.
If you’re not able to determine how the ants are getting in and locate the entire colony, ants are likely to just come back. As a result, it’s best to leave ant removal up to the professionals. If you’re in the Seattle, Kirkland, Issaquah, Samammish, Bellevue, Mercer island, Redmond, Kent, Woodinville or Renton areas, can help you deal with your ant problems. Contact us today for more information or to schedule an inspection.